Su "Alone", anche qui.

Edited by LaurieLo - 7/10/2007, 17:20

LaurieLo
view post Posted on 28/10/2007, 11:00

Recap e commenti sulla 4x04 Guadian Angels: qua:

The most shocking Rose Ceremony ever on 'House'
By Daniel Fienberg
October 23, 07:45 PM

Since the producers of House seem determined to play out the extended metaphor of the Good Doctor holding a reality competition for his new team, what sort of elimination ceremony will be next? A race to a mat where House and a local New Jersey-ite will eliminate the last resident to arrive? House holding only one picture for two docs, with that picture representing the doctor who's still in the running to be House's next top resident? House giving pearl necklaces to the most deserving doctors?

[Guess what? In this week's episode, House made lots of incorrect diagnoses, nearly killed the patient and then figured out what was wrong. Ooops. Did I not mention there were spoilers coming?]

Tuesday (Oct. 23) night's House went all Bachelor style, presenting flowers (he called them roses, but Kal Penn's character argued, "Those are peonies. But I'm sure they're part of the rose family...") to the six doctors still competing to join his team. The evening's bootee was Henry (Carmen Argenziano), or Ridiculously Old Fraud for those of you who can't keep track of any of their given names.

Actually, Ridiculously Old Fraud had a pretty effective episode. Not only did he get to be the Bosley to House's Charlie ("You want to be Bosley? Bosley's like the asexual message boy," said Penn's Kutner to Peter Jacobson's jealous Taub, who correctly responded, "Bosley keeps his job, while they replace five Angels over three seasons."), but he seemed to be getting every single answer right for the entire episode. That turned out to be wrong, of course, since this was one of those rare episodes where not only did House guess incorrectly for the first 45 minutes (par for the course), but he wasn't able to make the right call at the end (Anne Dudek's Amber [or Cutthroat B****] did).

"Don't need someone to tell you what you're already thinking," Henry rationalized.

As House said last week, ""I think I will miss you most of all, Ridiculously Old Fraud."

Case o' the Week: A Ukrainian funeral home worker (Azura Skye, mostly keeping her Russian accent on-point) comes in experiencing seizures and hallucinations, including seeing her dead mother and apparently seeing the patient No. 13 (Olivia Wilde) killed in "97 Seconds." House guessed Mad Cow, Parkinson's and several other things I didn't get. I went back and forth on this week's case, which both wasted the opportunity to be one of those powerful episodes of House where our hero is forced to reevaluate his spiritual underpinnings, but thankfully avoided becoming one of those heavy-handed episodes of House where our hero is forced to reevaluate his spiritual underpinnings. Instead, she was having easily medically explainable delusions (including the call-backs to last episode's victim, which were brought on by Cutthroat B****) and House's faith was never tested. I did like, though, the way she communicated with her fantasy mom, which had the flavor of recovered memory.

Drama o' the Week: Cameron, apparently experiencing a lax week in the emergency room, bet House that if he pushed Big Love (Edi Gathedi's Cole) far enough, he'd snap. She must have seen FOX's relentless promo campaign showing Cole punching House. What? Since I watch baseball I'm not entitled to have even minor surprises anymore FOX? Do you hate your annual postseason commitment that much? Sigh. In 99.999% of workforces, if you punch the boss, you get fired, sometimes even brought up on charges. Cameron knew that House rewards that kind of behavior and his attempts to bait Cole produced several fine one-liners ("Big Love, have I humiliated you in the last half hour? Check your e-mail...").

Meanwhile on Planet Cottage: House's former condos -- cottages, residents, what have you -- continue to have a hard time getting back onto the show. Cameron had good moments tonight ("Cash will be fine." "I bet you say that to all the guys."), but there are too many aspiring residents to service. Chase was barely in the episode at all and Foreman was stuck playing out the string that started last week when he got fired from Mercy for making a House-esque judgment call. We got it last season: Foreman doesn't want to become House, but it's too late and now he's unemployable elsewhere. That led him back to Cuddy, who rehired on the cheap, cleverly saying, "You're House Lite now. The only administrator who'll hire you is the one who hired House Classic." Having Foreman back next week may help the drama, but it won't improve the pre-existing clutter.

Other thoughts on this week's episode:

What's happened to Cuddy this season? Did I miss the episode where House broke her completely? She's a beaten woman. She didn't even kick up a fuss about House sending his charges out to rob a grave. And are we really supposed to be satisfied with a single all-too-brief House-Wilson scene? That's a dangerous path they're going down.
So which of the potential residents do you like best? Actually, I take that back. If you don't like Penn's Kutner best, we can't be friends anymore. So who do you like second best? Do you care what No. 13's mystery is? Are you hoping Cutthroat B**** gets her comeuppance? Do you wonder who that other guy is who hasn't done or said anything smart or funny in three weeks? That's Andy Comeau's Brennan and I'm assuming he'll be next to go.
At least we know what the House writing staff spent the summer watching. There was an M. Night Shyamalan joke in the first episode, a Sixth Sense twist this week. Next week? Expect plenty of references to skrunts, narfs and tartuitics.

QUA

e qua:

TV Recap: House

Patient of the Week: Irene, she sees dead people. She also has a really bad Russian accent. But seriously, she sees dead people and she’s not cute like Haley Joel Osment. Who isn’t cute anymore, have you seen him grown up? Yikes.
House calls the lecture hall on the speaker phone like the boss guy in Charlie’s Angels. In walks Scooter with a file and he rattles off a bunch of stuff about the patient, Irene, having seizures. While on the phone, Cameron walks in all blonde haired and hands House a mocha frappa fancy drink and flirts with him. He tells her that Foreman got fired over at Mercy. Cameron overhears House being rude to Religious nut, Cole.

Ooooh here comes Cameron/House sub plot… Cameron tells House that just because Cole is a Mormon doesn’t mean he couldn’t kick House’s ass. House thinks he’s a pushover and pulls out a Benjamin to bet that Cole cannot kick his ass, phsycially or verbally. Is it me or do they bet in like every single episode of this show? You’d think they could come up with something else to do. Cameron flirts some more, takes the bet and exits while House starts to suck down his mocha frappa fancy drink. I’m thinking very dirty thoughts about that straw his lips are wrapped around…

Cut throat bitch and plastic surgeon put Irene in the MRI and debate who is going to get the job working for House. They both have no idea why Scooter is still around since he doesn’t have a medical license.
Meanwhile Foreman goes around to a bunch of different hospitals trying to get a job. Everyone agrees he has an excellent resume but since he can’t admit to being wrong about making his own call at Mercy last week, he didn’t leave House soon enough and he can’t find a job anywhere.

Cole reports back what he found in Irene’s house but House keeps interrupting him and calling him an idiot. He also continues to mock his religious beliefs. House says he wants the gang to dig up the body of the guy Irene just embalmed at her morgue to do a brain biopsy. Cole says he can’t do that because he has to take care of his son. Cut Throat Bitch tries to get out of digging the body up by offering to do clinic hours for House. She tells Cuddy that if House heard that she were covering his clinic hours, maybe that would get her the job. Cuddy’s all “just do what House wants you to do and if you have a problem with it, quit now, it’s only going to get worse.”

At the cemetery, the gang digs up the body and they’re doing a really professional job seeing as they were science nerds and didn’t excel in P.E. Cut throat bitch tries to get info out of 13. When she won’t give her any cut throat bitch tells her that she knows 13 isn’t really a mystery but is pretending to be one so House will be intrigued, we all know he loves a puzzle.

House’s team wants to give up because the body dig up didn’t solve the case. House tells them to take it from the top and how about they don’t give up since the woman is still dying. His gang heads into Irene’s room where she demands to leave and then starts talking to her mother… that no one else can see.

We’ve got a new symptom.

House is pissed his team missed this symptom. He insists they start doing hereditary tests to figure out what is causing her to see her mom. When 13 goes into her room, Irene mentions that she’s also seeing the guy in the wheelchair who she killed the week before.

Back on the Foreman story, Cuddy meets with Foreman at a secret locale to offer him a job. Foreman says nope, not gonna happen, he left for a reason and that reason hasn’t changed.
Scooter offers an alternative, why don’t they ask the mother how she died. House thinks it’s genius. Scooter offering ways to solve problems is really pissing off plastic surgeon. House goes to see Irene who is now also seeing an old guy named Walter. House says it’s Grandpa House, but pretends to act freaked out and heads to see Wilson.

We are 28 minutes in and we’re just seeing Wilson?! That’s a load of crap. Anyway, House tells Wilson he’s pretending to be freaked out by a patient so the patient will trust him.

It works. The bad Russian accent daughter and bad Russian accent mother have a bad Russian accent conversation and House figures out what killed the mother and what is killing the daughter: Parkinson’s.

Meanwhile in Cameron plotting land, she confronts Cole and tells him he needs to get in House’s face because that’s the only way he’s going to get the job.

Irene starts having nightmares and her arm starts to bleed. This freaks out 13. House gets the gang together for a DDX. Scooter and plastic surgeon go at it. Plastic surgeon is exasperated because Scooter just keeps getting everything right and House listens to him.
Cameron finds House down in the cafeteria. House wants to know why she cares so much about who he hires and fires, so he offers her the job. She says no way. She just believes in Cole. House makes her pay for his lunch.

Meanwhile Foreman gets rejected from another hospital. They should just do a montage of a series of people pulling out a big red REJECTED stamp, that would’ve been funnier and more compelling. I think I know where this is headed. He’s going to go crawling back to Cuddy and beg for the job she offered him earlier in the episode, just you wait.

Irene starts bleeding everywhere. To repair the damage, we see hottie Dr. Chase doing surgery!! Cole is helping out in the surgery and asks for his advice on how to deal with House, Chase tells him he’s going to get fired either way. Chase sees inside Irene and realizes she’s dying from the inside out. I think that was supposed to be a really big statement, but isn’t because aren’t we all dying from the inside out? Think about it.

While Cole is doing a test on Irene she grabs his package. He goes to report that to House when House starts grilling him about Mormonism and Joseph Smith. He’s relentless until Cole snaps and punches him.

At that moment, for some reason, cut throat bitch realizes what’s wrong with Irene. She has Ergot Poisoning which gives you hallucinations and actually is what a lot of women in the Salem Witch trials had. Too bad Dr. House wasn’t around before they were burned at the stake. You get it from moldy bread.

Back in the classroom, House walks in with a bunch of peonies to hand out to the doctors he’ll be keeping. He’s fires Scooter, which makes me sad. I liked Scooter.

Cameron tracks down House and gets her money.

Oh look who it is… Foreman comes in to Cuddy and makes a bunch of demands, which she won’t give him. She realizes he’s been blackballed. This is not a racist comment.

Cuddy: You’re House-lite now, the only one who will hire you is the administrator who hired House-classic.

Foreman is back. The whole gang is back! Sure in all different capacities, but still. Oh and my only complaint is that there was not nearly enough Wilson. Not enough Cuddy either so that’s two complaints. And I didn’t laugh out loud as much.

LaurieLo
view post Posted on 8/1/2008, 18:28

Review di Mirror Mirror e a seguire, le altre recensioni di Mary McNamara sugli episodi precedenti.

link

New men (and woman) of the House
And then there were none. Well, two. Okay, actually three. The point is, the Great Race to reconfigure the diagnostics team on "House" is over and the winners are Dr. Kutner (Kal Penn), Dr. Straub (Peter Jacobson) and the mysterious Thirteen (Olivia Penn). How precisely the writers are going to keep them all busy while still throwing the old team enough work is a mystery, but one that will keep Avid Viewers like me tuned in.

In last night's episode, Dr. Lisa Cuddy finally drew herself to full administrative height and told House (Hugh Laurie) to pick two candidates and let the remaining two go. So when a punk rock musician with many addictions and few redeeming virtues pulls the typical "House" collapse -- sudden bout of coughing turns into bloody spew -- the case becomes make-or-break.

Now, the competition wasn't quite as intense as it seems, at least from the living room view. Kal Penn is a movie star, most recently seen in "The Namesake." So clearly he was staying. Jacobson has an IMDB list as long as your arm, and though some of the entries are along the lines of "man with the telephone," he was just seen in "Transformers" and did a very funny turn as the hateful ex-husband in "The Starter Wife." So smart money on him. The choice came down to the two women: the steely Amber (Anne Dudek) and the softer Thirteen (Olivia Penn). Both actors have done good work -- Dudek in high-profile shows like "Mad Men" and "Big Love," Penn in the unfortunate "Black Donnelly's" and, more successfully, "The O.C." But really there was no choice. Amber was too rough even for House, and romantic tension has been in short supply for a while, so the winner was Thirteen.

Yes, yes, there was a lot of cool medicine performed, tests and tubes and seizures, etc., and Drs. Wilson and Formen weighed in on how ridiculous House was to be caught up in his little games, but all of that was so much white noise as we waited to see why he would finally fire Amber and how he was going to keep three instead of two.

Amber revealed her near-pathological fear of losing anything, especially control, by her hatred of the druggie patient, and House finally had to concede that winning wasn't everything if fear of losing kept you hostage. Then he hired the two guys, knowing that that would never fly. Which it didn't; Cuddy told him to hire Thirteen (though why she didn't make him sacrifice one of the men is essentially what separates television from the reality of our lives).

And so the original team is nicely mirrored, two guys and a girl, though with Foreman, it's three guys and a girl. But hey, Amber's the sort who might just figure out a way to return.

Meanwhile, we can all get back to business: figuring out how to give all the old cast members a bit more screen time. I mean, they can't have colored Jennifer Morrison's hair for nothing, right?

-- Mary McNamara

'House': Whole lot of shakin' goin' on!

I just have to say it out loud: "House" just keeps getting better and better. What at first seemed like a pretty silly idea -- to passive-aggressively keep from hiring a new team, House has a group of doctors competing like they're in a reality show -- has turned out to be brilliant. Not only do we get all sorts of great new characters, we also get to see House at his best, trying to figure out, and neutralize, each one. Gone are all the boring concerns about his Vicodin addiction, gone is the irritating model of House declaiming and everyone else denying (even though he's always right), gone is the increasingly dull and unbelievable tension between him and Cuddy. (As subordinate/boss, that is. The sexual tension, one hopes, is still in there somewhere.) Cuddy is done trying to squelch him; now she is just shooting for managed chaos. Which is so much more fun because it revolves more around the medicine and less around all the personal pathos of the staff.

Last night's case was a screenwriter's dream. A man comes in with no memory but a very strange disorder -- Giovanni's Mirror Syndrome (where do they come up with these things?), which causes him to unconsciously mimic those around them. So all of the characters were subjected to a vision of their own selves, and we got to watch them react to it. How great a dramatic idea is that? Although it must be conceded that while Patient X managed to delve into the psyches of all the contestants, he stayed on the surface when mirroring House, revealing only his lust for doctor 13 and admiration for Cuddy's breasts. Too bad; it would have been interesting to get a peep into House's interior, and even more interesting to see what he thought of the image.

But the quibble is so minor, I'm ashamed to have made it. This season of "House" should be handed out as Christmas gifts to every writers' room in America to serve as a template for really shaking up a show in danger of bogging down in its own conceit. Mercifully, House didn't kick anyone off the island last night; the loss of any of the new characters will lead only to heartbreak for me. I miss the old guy already and don't care that he wasn't a doctor. Indeed, I was just as uneasy when Cuddy announced she had hired Foreman back. I love Omar Epps, but I hope this doesn't mean a return to the old "House." As good as it was, the new "House" is better.

'House': More extremities
So here's a question: What exactly constitutes a fireable offense at Princeton Plainsboro? Well, now we can take "sticking a knife in an electrical outlet in order to have a near-death experience" off the list. Because that's what Dr. Gregory House did on last night's episode of "House," in a weird and obsessive attempt to prove there is no afterlife. (This from a man who underwent semi-successful medical treatment that came to him in a dream after being shot two seasons ago.)

Also, "allowing a patient to die through negligence" can be struck, since he had one of the 10 applicants competing to be on his team dose a young man in a less-than-rigorous way -- anyone who's ever been in hospital knows that the nurses deliver the meds and stand there like grim death until they see you take it. Anyone but this young doctor apparently.

House felt bad about the second offense, if not the first, though the only consequence of either was a gentle remonstration from Dr. Cuddy, who, we are hoping, has other things on her mind that will be resolved soon. Otherwise, House might just have to burn the hospital down to get a little decent banter.

Every week, "House" tests the ascendancy of drama over common sense, and every week, at least thus far, drama wins. The show's writers pepper the script with a barrage of symptoms, conditions, tests and treatments, creating a narcotic rue of medicine that, once ingested, allows the Avid Viewer to overlook the most ridiculous things -- all those same-day MRIs, for instance, or Dr. Wilson's strange lack of patients. The knife in the electric socket may have been pushing it -- I'm pretty sure any sort of suicide attempt requires a visit to the psych ward. At least that's what happens on "ER."

Fortunately, the rest of the show was so good that even exploratory electrocution gets a pass. House's need to see if there is an afterlife revealed a hope not usually seen in his crusty, cynical character, as did the fact that he paged the least likeable candidate to revive him -- House may have met his match in the cutthroat pixie (now upgraded to bitch). She is just as cold and calculating as he is, and that would be interesting.

The 10 doctors, well, nine and one impostor, left vying for the team are becoming such good characters that the sight of House, bunsen burners ablaze, about to vote a bunch of them off the island struck fear into the viewers' hearts. It seems clear the twins are going to go, also the boring white guy with no back story, leaving the plastic surgeon, the cutthroat bitch, the lovely doctor who flubbed the medication, the old guy, the Mormon and the mouthy young man played by Kai Penn who we love so much. Wait, that's six, and the website says five will remain. I hope the old guy goes because I really love the plastic surgeon and the old guy isn't even a doctor.

Not that a detail like that really matters at ol' Princeton Plainsboro.

-- Mary McNamara

House': The new faces are welcome
At first glance, it would seem that the creators of “House” are trying to get a toehold in the reality TV audience. On this season's second episode of the medical drama, the canny and conniving Dr. House capitulates to the general demand that he create a new diagnostics team by assembling all the likely applicants, 40 to be precise, and pitting them against each other.

Their first case is, of course, extra-special difficult: An Air Force officer wants to know why she is “hearing colors,” but she doesn’t want the tests to be on the books because that would squash her chance to work for NASA. She comes to House, as so many of us do, because he breaks the rules.

Off the 40, arbitrarily cut down to 30, winsome young people go on assorted House-directed missions, from searching the officer’s home to washing House’s car. It quickly becomes apparent that “House” is not just tapping into the success of reality TV, it’s taking a page out of “Grey’s Anatomy.” These docs may not be interns, but they are just as ripe for competitive plots and steamy romance, if not spin-offs, as any of the folks at Seattle Grace.

There’s the earnest, hard-working Mormon, the pretty, ringleted twins, the clever, House-like rebel, the ruthlessly ambitious blond, the cosmetic surgeon, the old guy, the mysterious, possibly brilliant brunette. No need giving them names; House doesn’t. He sticks to numbers, firing them coldheartedly for snitching or just sitting in the wrong row. Watching them bond and compete for House’s attention is a good reminder that for all his flaws, House remains, at least in TV Land, a world-class doctor. It also gives Hugh Laurie the chance to use the term “cutthroat little pixie,” which is not something you get to hear every day.

The on-the-q.t. nature of the case allows House to pull a MacGyver, creating diagnostic tests out of everything from breast implants to several shots of tequila. Meanwhile, glimpses of Drs. Chase, Cameron and Foreman moving through the halls like so many phantoms of House’s tortured psyche.

While it’s good to see our old friends back, one hopes that at least some of these new doctors can stick around for a while. It opens up narrative possibilities beyond the romantic machinations of Cameron and Chase (now engaged on the show, while the actors broke up in real life) and creates new possibilities for House, who is always at his best when someone smart is pushing back.

If nothing else, House can “read” each and every one of them — “when did your brother leave home?” he asks the mysterious brunette — which will be good for a few choice B-plots. And as he whittles down his new pool of doctors, perhaps Fox will allow us to call in and vote, “American Idol”-style.

Either way, it’s always good to have some new faces, not to mention a cosmetic surgeon, on hand.

-- Mary McNamara

'House': He's back!
The season premiere of “House” opened big — with a guy talking to his girlfriend on the cellphone just as the building she’s in collapses right before his very eyes. But for some of us, the opening credits were a much bigger source of tension. So it is with great pleasure that I can report that while last season ended with Drs. Foreman (Omar Epps), Cameron (Jennifer Morrison) and Chase (Jesse Spencer) being fired, there they are cycling through the opening credits and scuttling along House’s peripheral vision like so many ghosts of cases past.

House (Hugh Laurie, in case you have forgotten, which really isn’t possible since he has been on the cover of every magazine in America lately), meanwhile, is determined that he will not hire another team. He won’t, He Won’t, HE WON’T, not if he has to hold his breath ’til he turns blue or use a passing janitor as a sounding board. Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) reacts the way he always does, by fondly psychoanalyzing House. (Really, either Wilson is in the wrong profession or he’s in lurve — and wouldn’t that be a great very special episode?) He diagnoses abandonment issues — House cared about his people, they left, so House will never put himself in that position again. Sniff.

Wilson also kidnaps House’s guitar, the ransom being that House start looking for a team. Cuddy, also in a desperate attempt to prove that he needs a team, issues a memo instructing hospital personnel not to enable House by offering their opinions on the case, never mind that a woman’s life hangs in the balance.

When you look at it that way, it seems kind of silly, but it’s not, it’s terrific because it’s “House” and we missed it terribly. The woman in question is, of course, Megan, the gal from the exploding building. Her boyfriend, Ben, heroically rescued her, only on top of a million broken bones, lacerations and general battering, she has a strange fever. Enter House.

Moving sans team through the show’s template of home invasions, MRIs, false diagnoses and moral dilemmas, House improvises, using the above-mentioned janitor and pretty much anyone else who will listen. The result? He is able to identify each and every tree but completely misses the forest. Discovering that, utterly unbeknownst to the devoted Ben, Megan is an alcoholic on antidepressants who recently had an abortion, House merely considers his world view — everyone lies but the body can’t — confirmed. Until it is revealed that the broken woman on the bed is not Megan but her co-worker. Megan, in fact, survived the accident but died hours earlier.

Cameron, Cuddy tells House later, would have figured it out in a trice.

Beyond the silliness of whether House should get a team, the episode is haunting in its exploration of identity — the body will reveal all the secrets that we keep — and the nature of love. Would you rather find out your loved one lied to you and lived or that they were true and died?

Frankly, it doesn’t matter whether House has a team or not. He’s got the cane, he’s got the Vicodin, he’s got the irony of deep inner pain. He’s good to go.

--Mary McNamara

3 replies since 6/10/2007, 12:58   116 views