In English please!, qui potete parlare in qualsiasi lingua ma nn in italiano!!

« Older   Newer »
LaurieLo
view post Posted on 18/9/2005, 17:02

Se trovate frasi strane (ma proprio strane!) ke proprio nn riuscite a tradurre provate a kiedere a noi!

Se volete scambiare quattro chiacchiere in inglese questo è il posto giusto!

and now... speak English or bugger off!!!!!!!

Edited by LaurieLo - 18/9/2005, 18:06

view post Posted on 18/9/2005, 17:32

.... PUNCTURE!!!!! I WISH I WERE CARMEN ELECTRA..... zio Griss & My Baby forever!

Group:
Head of International Medicine

ohhh yasssssssssssssss

let's talk a bit!!!
I'm translating right now the "partypants" part of tha "acceptance" transcript..
and I can't stop laughing....

people.. like Lori said, if you have any problem with words, translation.. post post post!!!

Web  Top
LaurieLo
view post Posted on 18/9/2005, 18:05

Yep! If you have any question.. please feel free to ask for advice..

Camillina88
view post Posted on 19/9/2005, 18:07

what nice idea!!!!! biggrin.gif now i haven't started litterature at school yet but i'm sure that very very soon i'll need your help biggrin.gif happy.gif yes i'm not bad in english, (i think) but...i don't like very much litterature... mmm it's so difficult... -.-' and i don't like romantic things like Romeo and Juliet.. i'm not that kind of girl that like that things...however...I'll be in your hands if i need help biggrin.gif.....mmm i have a homework for the day after tomorrow... say what you think and if you get on with the opinion of the words of John Lennon's Imagine biggrin.gif ohh i don't now what I can say!!!!!!!

view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 10:47

.... PUNCTURE!!!!! I WISH I WERE CARMEN ELECTRA..... zio Griss & My Baby forever!

Group:

really?? because NOW I REALLY THINK that there's no big fantasy in teachers' mind...: I had the VERY same homework in my high school's second year.. ok, it was xmas time and we had picked that song for our little concert.. but my point is still valid (don't you think that TV shows could be very helpful to improve you english?? I am a superfan of multimedia.. I always tell my students to watch as much tv as they can.. well, english one of course!!)
camillina, don't be shy and ask!!
you said you don't like literature?? neither do I!! and it's kinda weird.. because I went to a kind of faculty (italian meaning..) full of it!! soooooooo boring........ I had fun only when I could speak english, french and german in my conversation classes.. but anyway, I managed it..
now I think I have bored you enough..
so, Cya.. good Luck.. and let us know!!

Web  Top
LaurieLo
view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 11:43

so.. I am the one who went studying Foreign languages cos I LOVE literature, any literature BUT Italian, which I despise but I can not explain why.. (no rhyme intended!)

I went for Russian language because I was a deep fan of Dostoevskij, and - trust me - it is a very tough lingo..! I can speak a bunch of languages (English, French, Norwegian, German, Russian, a bit of Japanese) because I am deeply interested in foreign cultures, and - I can proudly say! - I have read thousands of books!! I admit I am not bad at translating, but I do feel such things as songs, poetry and literature mean to be read the original way (we have all seen what happens when they translate House MD...), so that's why I've been trying all my life learning foreign languages..

now i am re-reading Dylan Thomas and Emily Dickinson.. the way they express poetry can NOT be translated in any exhaustive way.. trust me!

view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 14:17

Group:

well, well, well.. when I was in High School my teacher had a terrible way of teaching (I hate calembours.. anyway, let's carry on) literature, and I felt like I was forced to read, and I love reading!! of course, there are a bunch of writers that I love, oscar wilde, for instance.. or.. going even back, Shakespeare (always in english!!! ). when I went to the university, I chose american literature because I really wanted to change a bit. and I had the chance to read beautiful books.. like Lolita, or Kerouac's "on the road".. but my first love is and always will be translation and teachin'. when I am translating no matter what, I feel happy, useful, and active.. in some way. Same happens when I help "my students" improving or learning english, french and German (even from scratch..)
I do know that eastern languages like russian, or bulgarian are pretty tough, I have some friends who chose them and someone took even his degree on them. And I always wonder (OT.. WHY THIS STUPID THING KEEPS ON AVOIDING CAPITAL LETTERS???? AAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH ok, back to topic) how they actually could have learnt to speak.. in such a faster way...
speaking of translated versions.. I personally think that you always lose something. yes, there could be some great translators, like the first one of "Lolita", but as they are human being with their own feeling and, more important, their own opinion and choices, you'll always have some difference.. which worsen or mislead the original purpose of the writer..
and I am talking about good translators, who have a strong language knowledge!!
because I could literally open a debate on the ones who call themselves "translators" without even knowing any language!! (not even italian, sometimes..) and I have to admit that they are TOO MANY.. the majority I've seen up to now..
Am I right??? look at House M.D. adaptation!!

ok, interesting thread.. anyone who wanna give his/her opinion?? or even change suject!! (in english.. we don't look at the grammar.. nobody's perfect (not even natives..) so, feel free to post!)

Web  Top
view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 15:40

Group:

so, JUMP IN AND POST!!!!!! at least try..

Web  Top
LaurieLo
view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 18:45

so.. I was watching en episode of Jeeves and Wooster - an early comedy by Hugh Laurie & Stephen Fry - and I realized I can't barely stand Hugh speaking the American way in "House Md". I am so fond of his posh English Accent I can't even recognize his voice when he speaks American...

Have you ever experienced it? This thought leads me to another similiar one.. am I the only one who are not able to recognize people's voices when they speak other languages than the usual? I explain, I can recognize actor Vin Diesel by his roaring voice, which is very peculiar, but the one time I heard him say a few words in Italian .. it seemed to me like another person was talking.. I wonder why... anuy idea? Do you think your own voice looks different when you speak English?

come on! say whatever you want, even the most off topic thinghy thing, but do not let me down!!!

view post Posted on 20/9/2005, 21:26

Group:

actually.. i must say the same thing.. hugh is a wonderfully talented actor, and he does a great job on his accent.. anyway, I simply don't understand why bother so much.. I mean.. he's so lovely with his accent.. and english accent is a great one!!!
ok, his character is american.. so what? like you have never heard someone who is supposed to be born in a town speaking with a totally different accent..
ITA on the fact that when he (or someone) speaks with another accent is barely recognisable.. LA SOGLIOLA AL LIMONE is a perfect example (for those who are thinking I'm crazy.. yes you're right, but I am talking about an audio file tha Lori sent me a while ago.. it's posted in multimedia/audio HL.. Stephern Fry and he are in a restaurant, an italian one, ordering IN ITALIAN...)..
BUT.. there's one single sentence that i could listen over and over..
when, in "kids" he says "there's one more possible CAUSE"
I could listen him saying CAAAAUUUUUUSEEEEEE all day and night long..
PEOPLE... IT IS NOT A PRIVATE THREAD BETWEEN LORI AND I, PLEASE, POST WITH NO FEAR!!
NOBODY'S HERE TO JUDGE OR CORRECT ANYTHING!!!
even with a "yes I agree" or "no, I don't".. it would be enough.. as a first time.. and if you don't know what to say... THEN SAY SOMETHING ANYWAY..

Web  Top
LaurieLo
view post Posted on 21/9/2005, 11:06

DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN ON MEEEEEE .......even a song would fit... COME ON!!

view post Posted on 22/9/2005, 10:03

Group:

am I forced to bring a whip??? (frusta..)
Do I need it??
come on!!
at least "My name is..", "I like chocolate" WHATEVER!!

Web  Top
vicodin
view post Posted on 22/9/2005, 13:48

yesssssssssssss..I like chocolate tongue.gif

LaurieLo
view post Posted on 22/9/2005, 14:46

Hooray for Vicodin!!! wink.gif tongue.gif

view post Posted on 22/9/2005, 15:37

Group:

alleluja!!! we praise the Lord!!
welcome to Vicodin!!! see?? nobody's hurt!!

Web  Top
128 replies since 18/9/2005, 17:02   2134 views